It’s finally October and that means it’s almost Halloween time.
Want to know what’s even scarier than the vampire, monster and ghost Halloween costumes?
Here are 5 Top Reasons to Ditch Dairy!
- Just like human mothers, cows produce milk only when they’re pregnant and nursing. Sadly, dairy farms repeatedly impregnate mother cows with what industry insiders themselves refer to as “rape racks,” take their newborn babies away within 2-3 days, kill the male calves for veal and then steal the milk that was meant for them. In case you forgot, we are not baby cows and we definitely do not need milk from their mothers.
- Milk and cheese consumption has been shown to clog arteries, accelerate heart disease and cause calcium to leach from otherwise healthy bones. What’s more, their consumption is linked to an increased risk of developing prostate and ovarian cancers. Yikes!
- Cows are given antibiotics to fatten them up, keep them alive and producing milk in extremely dirty and unsanitary factory farms. This also has contributed to the increase in antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
- Dairy products are high in saturated fats which have been linked to the #1 killer in the USA–heart disease. Did you know that one glass of milk can contain as much as 24 mg of cholesterol and that one ounce of cheese contains 30 mg? We will stick to enjoying delicious plant-based milks and cheeses instead. Watch our how to make Homemade Almond Milk video here!
- In case you need one final reason to ditch dairy this is it: highly processed additives are put into milk, yogurt and cheese to make them taste better. Most yogurts sold by supermarkets contain “well above” a healthy amount of sugar. Did you know that there are more than 5 teaspoons of sugar in 1 serving of Chobani blueberry yogurt? Unfortunately, this is the norm for most dairy yogurts brands and not the exception. Sugar is often used as a sweetener to counteract the sourness of the lactic acid, which is produced by live cultures in yogurts. Cheese can contain up to 400 mg of sodium per ounce. Some varieties of cheese are so salty that they actually have more sodium than ocean water.
Luckily, we don’t need dairy in our diets to enjoy all the flavor! Check out these great vegan dairy alternatives from PETA…