Here is a hearty dish that is also a feast for the eyes. This is a perfect dish to try if you are considering introducing your family to “Meatless Mondays.”
- 5 Red yellow or orange peppers
- 3 cups of brown rice
- 1/2 pound of sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup of cooked black beans or pinto beans
- 2 stalks of diced celery
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons of poultry seasoning
Heat oven to 375F
1. Saute the onion, celery and carrots for about 4 minutes in a little veggie stock.
2. Add the mushrooms and garlic and saute for 4 minutes more. Add veggie stock as needed.
3. Add the dried herbs, cooked brown rice and beans and mix together. Remove from the heat.
4. Slice the tops off the peppers and scoop out the seeds. stuff each pepper with the rice and bean mixture and stand them in a baking dish.
5. Pour a little veggie stock in the bottom of the baking dish and cover with a lid. Bake at 375F covered for 30 minutes and then remove the lid and bake for 15 – 20 minutes more at 400F.
Serve with the left over rice filling along with a salad or your choice of grilled vegetables. I like to top mine with a little salsa or hot sauce for an extra kick. They always taste better the next day so be sure to make extra.